Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Monster in my Pocket

Back in 1990 while perusing the toy aisles after work at K-Mart I found a small peg display of boxed figures with the colorful logo of Monster in my Pocket printed on the dark blue box. I picked up a pack and headed for the checkout. When I got home and tore into the box I was immediately taken back to my younger days of finding Trashcan Full of Monsters at my local Toys R Us. That started me on a mad dash to "collect them all".

The actual line released by Matchbox was a line of rubber figures cast in bright colors and depicted famous monsters of Legend, Mythology and Cryptozology, each with an assigned point value for a game that could be played with them and to denote how rare the figures were.

The First Series consisted of:
Great Beast


Hydra

Werewolf

Behemoth

Griffin

Tyrannosaurus

Cockatrice

Cyclops

Tengu

Triton

Kraken

Jotun Troll

Monster

Manticore

Karnack

Coatilcue

Bigfoot

Baba Yaga

Kali

Catoblepas

Harpy

Haniver

Hobgoblin

Windigo

Red Cap

Medusa

Goblin

Cerebus

Zombie

Chimera

Ghost

Ogre

Vampire

Roc

Gremlin

Vampiress

Ghoul

Phantom of the Opera

Mad Scientist

Winged Panther

Mummy

Charon

The Beast

Witch

Spring Heeled Jack

Invisible Man

Skeleton

Hunchback
Series 2 consisted of:

49. Dragon
 
50. Jabborwock 
51. Warlock 
52. Ymir
 
53. Swamp Beast
 
54. Golem
 
55. Scorpion Man
 
56. Loch Ness Monster
 
57. Tarasque 
58. Bishop Fish 
59. Herne the Hunter
 
60. Ancient Gorgon
 
61. Ectoplasmic Phantom
 
62. Ganesha
 
63. Elbow Witch 
64. Minotaur 
65. Merrow
 
66. Nuckelavee 
67. Spectre 
68. Bloody Bones
 
69. Sebek 
70. Dryad
 
71. Undine 
72. Gargoyle
 


Series 3 monsters came as premiums for three different products. #73-80 were premiums for Nabisco Shreddies in Canada and Bob's Big Boy had a Secret Monster Pack with Series 3 figures #73-80. #81 was a premium for the Nintendo M.I.M.P. game.


73. Leviathan
  

74. Abominable Snowman
  

75. Anubis
  

76. Amphisbaena 

77. Centaur
  

78. Orobas
  

79. Siren
  

80. Jimmy Squarefoot
  

81. Blemmyea
 

We'll Pick up with Series 4 - Super Scary tomorrow, in the meantime here, suffer the pilot for the unsold Monster in my Pocket cartoon



6 comments:

  1. Despite my love of monsters and being obsessed with Battle Beasts and Z-Bots I never got into this line but I wish I did!

    Someone at Matchbox must have cracked open their Dungeons & Dragons manuals for these. There are creatures and beings in these sets that no "normal" toy person would know of otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had all of them and ended up getting many duplicates too. My mother sold them all though on eBay years ago.

    Loved the series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVED these toys. I got into Monsters first before falling into an addiction of Battle Beasts. It was perfect, though, since they were roughly the same scale so I could have them fight each other.

    Only thing I wish was that the Monsters had more color detail instead of just one solid, gummy palette.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yet another toy I loved as a kid! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For some reason in my neck of the woods we never received any of the second series! Unless it was hidden at some store that my family didn't know about.

    I still have quite a few of these little guys running around my toy room!

    ReplyDelete
  6. baba yaga is another name for a witch or black old woman who makes magic in slavic or bulgarian

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...